| My cane is a tribute to Van Gogh's Starry Night |
My first set of roommates absolutely loved this film; I loved seeing them be passionate about of piece of literature and cinema to the point of watching it endlessly. Aside from seeing it the one time in the theatre, I never watched it again; the disappointment was too much.
It has been 9 months since I first read the novel and 8 months since I saw the film and I just watched it for the second time and was miraculously not disappointed. What brought on the change? The solid foundation of who I am has been carved to create a masterpiece that has altered my comprehension of what The Fault in Our Stars has to offer.
I hate to pound a nail that is already very clearly in the wall, but I have been diagnosed everything in the book and all of those things are wrong. I have started to lose my ability to walk; gone are the days of running 5K's and playing soccer and running up and down stairs and spending days in a speed of motion that is unstoppable. As Hazel's mother stated in the film, "You of all people know it is possible to live in pain. Because you do." I know what it feels like to be a grenade to someone; I have forced myself to say goodbye to the most incredible people in my life so to spare them. I know what it feels like to be in a frame of mind where I could nearly sacrifice anything to do at least one thing for myself. What I do not comprehend is having a course of treatment, a proper diagnosis, answers. That is a part of life that I do not understand.
For the first time, I finally get it. In some frame of mind, it is so nice to have a novel and film depict what is going on with me mentally. The hype wasn't too much, I just wasn't carved where I had the viewpoint to understand. The masterpieces we become aren't done by artists of the world. Michelangelo and Van Gogh could not create more beautiful pieces of art than our God. What a masterpiece we have become and it's not even the finished product.
No comments:
Post a Comment